[ale] similar weirdness

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu May 31 15:09:03 EDT 2007

Brian wrote:
>> According to the manual, my ASUS A7N266-VM mobo was made in March, 2002.
>> So I could use some suggestions for a new mobo.
>
> After five years, I don't think you'll be able to buy a new motherboard
> without also buying a new CPU and RAM. My recommendation for doing it
> well but cheap would be Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2
> 3600+ processor, and a 1GB stick of any brand of DDR2-667 memory. This
> should cost < $200. That motherboard has onboard video, which keeps you
> from having to buy a new PCI-E video card as well. Works fine for me in
> Ubuntu 7.04
>
> Model
> Brand 	ASUS
> Model 	M2NPV-VM
> Supported CPU
> CPU Socket Type 	Socket AM2
> CPU Type 	Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64
> FSB 	1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
> Chipsets
> North Bridge 	NVIDIA GeForce 6150
> South Bridge 	NVIDIA nForce 430
> Memory
> Number of Memory Slots 	4?240pin
> Memory Standard 	DDR2 800
> Maximum Memory Supported 	8GB
> Dual Channel Supported 	Yes
> Expansion Slots
> AGP Slots 	None
> PCI Express x16 	1
> PCI Express x1 	1
> PCI Slots 	2
> Storage Devices
> PATA 	2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
> SATA 3Gb/s 	4
> SATA RAID 	NV RAID 0/1/0+1/5 JBOD
> Onboard Video
> Onboard Video Chipset 	NVIDIA GeForce 6150
> Onboard Audio
> Audio Chipset 	ADI AD1986A
> Audio Channels 	6 Channels
> Onboard LAN
> Max LAN Speed 	10/100/1000Mbps
> Rear Panel Ports
> PS/2 	2
> LPT 	1
> Video Ports 	D-Sub + DVI
> USB 	4 x USB 2.0
> IEEE 1394 	1 x IEEE 1394a
> Audio Ports 	3 Ports
> Onboard USB
> Onboard USB 	4x USB 2.0
> Onboard 1394
> Onboard 1394 	1x 1394a
> Physical Spec
> Form Factor 	Micro ATX
> Dimensions 	9.6" x 9.6"
> Windows Vista 	Certified for
> Features
> Power Pin 	24 Pin
> Packaging
> Package Contents 	M2NPV-VM
> User Manual
> Driver Disk
> Rear I/O Panel Shield
> FDD Cable
> 2 x IDE/PATA Cable
> 2 x SATA Cable
> Power Cable
> IEEE 1394 Bracket
> HDTV/AV/AS Output Module

I can second this board.  I use it in my mythtv box.  It's been rock
solid and everything is supported.  I currently run gentoo on it.  My
favorite feature on it is the quite and cool stuff.  At low cpu usage,
which is almost always, the processor clocks down to 1ghz and gets cool
enough that the cpu fan actually stops spinning.