[ale] remote access to Windows box

John Clinton jjarrettc at gmail.com
Sat May 19 05:55:30 EDT 2007

I have been doing this a while for my parents too.  I use TightVNC on their
Windows boxes for remote access.  This allows them to show me what they have
a problem with, aka we can see the same desktop.

I allow connections into their router from my home IP.  I then open the port
for VNC and connect in.  As soon as I am done with the work, I connect back
into the router and close the VNC port off.

I have a static IP at home which helps limit access into the router.

My dad actually runs a consulting business and for him I actually put a
bastion host (gentoo) that I ssh too. I use that host to port forward to his
windows machines.

I can give more specifics if interested.

John