[ale] Good cheap ATL-based colo facilities?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed May 16 23:49:33 EDT 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 15:27 -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
>> The facility I wound up installing my server in is in Duluth.
>> IIRC, the QT/eDeltacom datacenter is on the line between Duluth and
>> Swanee.   Was it a big warehouse like facility with lots of open
>> space?

Oh, boy, was it ever big.  I couldn't see into the other half that was
partially walled off and I didn't feel like walking that far to find out
what was on the other side, but the side that I was on had a *lot* of
hardware in it.
>> I can't speak for anything and everything in 5x Marietta, but what I was
>> offered there to install my server in and the professionalism and
>> customer service I received was substandard.
>>

> There certainly are a lot of mom & pop shops around downtown.  But
> consider that 55 and 56 Marietta compromise approx 50+ floors of
> leaseable datacenter space it's easy to see that big and small can be
> near each other.  BTW, ITC DeltaCom, eDeltacom's upstream is in 55. ;-)
>
> The sheer list of recognizable customers in 55 an 56, including ITC
> DeltaCom, should give you an indication of just what the facilities are
> capable of.
Yes, and the colo provider that I tried to engage there made a big,
giant deal out of that - "the second most-wired building in the world,"
they told me.  And all of that was completely negated by unsafe and
slapdash mounting, highly inconvenient, expensive and, dare I say,
dangerous parking, unsafe and slapdash system mounting, and staff in
ripped clothing with metal stuff sticking out of their faces.

As much as it took me a fair bit of effort to find 1U of colo at a
decent price and actually get my server into the big, cold, noisy room,
and as I would probably have gone ahead with it regardless if they had
had racks akin to what Netriplex offered me, I realized that I had a lot
of money, effort, and hope banked into that server and that I'd be
damned if I were going to have it get its faceplate and disk sleds
sheared off the front because some Red-Bull-addled kid dropped
somebody's midget porn server!!

I was nice and diplomatic about it, but I told the kid that I couldn't
leave my server there, and I carried it back to the car.