[ale] Segue from MS threatening the community

David Tomaschik ozone at webgroup.org
Tue May 15 15:06:22 EDT 2007

In many cases, the patent office pretty much grants any patent that
comes with the right paperwork and fees, under the assumption that IF it
ever comes to a legal issue then the courts will deal with determining
if the patent is valid.  Just look at the number of patents that have
been invalidated by the courts on the case of prior art or obviousness.
 The patent 'examiners' seem to be little more than paper-pushers who
don't know the difference between paper and reality.

What's more is that, IMO, being able to patent something without a
workable demonstration is evil.  In fact, all those Intellectual
Property companies that make money off of nothing but licensing should
be shut down.  If you want to make money from an idea, fine, but then
you should produce the idea.  Knowledge is not a product.

David