[ale] [Fwd: Employment Advert] New Scam!!!

Brian Stanaland brian.stanaland at gmail.com
Fri May 11 22:57:12 EDT 2007

In another instance of unintended consequences, banks are obligated by
federal law to either post funds to your account or declare checks unfunded
within a specified number of days.  If the check hasn't been denied by the
issuing bank they have to deposit the money.  When the check finally gets to
the bank and bounces, which it will, YOUR bank takes the money back.

Brian

On 5/11/07, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:

> Howard A Story wrote:
> > Sounds like.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Levin
> >
> > And there is some sort of IRS un-reportable limit??
> >

> > Bob Toxen wrote:
> >> It can take as much as 1-2 months for your bank to discover that a
> check
> >> that you deposited and "cleared" really is no good and "ask" you to
> >> reimburse the funds.  The fine print in your banking agreements legally
> >> obligates you to this so if you have any net worth at all the bank will
> >> get it.
> >>
> >> If you resist they may charge you with criminal acts for defrauding the
> >> bank.
> >>
> >> If you actually "get away" with such a scam, the IRS then will hunt you
> >> down.
> >>

> >> Advice:
> >> 1. Avoid any such offer to be a middleman in handling funds.  If it
> >>    were legal and easy they either would do itself or work through
> >>    a legitimate bank, lawyer, etc.
> >>
> >> 2. Avoid any "generic" ad of any type.  Note that this one said
> >>    "your state/county/country" rather than "DeKalb County, GA".
> >>
> >> 3. If it is a legitimate bill, it can be handled via U.S. Mail
> >>    for $0.39.  If they need you either it's a scan or you're being
> >>    hired for "Collections," which is a HARD job as the consultants
> >>    on this list know.
> >>
> >> Bob Toxen
> >> bob at verysecurelinux.com               [Please use for email to me]
> >> http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security
> consulting]
> >> http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux
> Security 2/e"]
> >> Quality Linux & UNIX security and SysAdmin & software consulting since
> 1990.
> >>
> >> "Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"
> >>    -- Bob Toxen 10/03/2002

"Anyone who has the power to make