[ale] [Fwd: Employment Advert] New Scam!!!

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Fri May 11 18:48:22 EDT 2007

It can take as much as 1-2 months for your bank to discover that a check
that you deposited and "cleared" really is no good and "ask" you to
reimburse the funds.  The fine print in your banking agreements legally
obligates you to this so if you have any net worth at all the bank will
get it.

If you resist they may charge you with criminal acts for defrauding the
bank.

If you actually "get away" with such a scam, the IRS then will hunt you
down.

Advice:
1. Avoid any such offer to be a middleman in handling funds.  If it
   were legal and easy they either would do itself or work through
   a legitimate bank, lawyer, etc.

2. Avoid any "generic" ad of any type.  Note that this one said
   "your state/county/country" rather than "DeKalb County, GA".

3. If it is a legitimate bill, it can be handled via U.S. Mail
   for $0.39.  If they need you either it's a scan or you're being
   hired for "Collections," which is a HARD job as the consultants
   on this list know.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]