[ale] GPS w/ bluetooth

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue May 8 19:36:28 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 17:57 -0400, tom wrote:
> I downloaded kismet to run on my Nokia 770. But lets face it, without GPS,
> it just isn't nearly as much fun 8-). Since the Nokia doesn't supply power
> to the usb bus anyhow, using bluetooth to talk with a GPS unit makes more
> sense.

> Anybody have any experience with such a beast? It is looking like I'll
> need to purchase off the web because the brick&morter people here in
> Charlotte don't seem to have heard of such a beast.

	I've used (and use) the Delorme bluetooth Earthmate GPS with Linux and
gpsd.  Should work just fine with ANY bluetooth gps.  You just have to
pair to them.  I think you have to use gpsd to manage that GPS because
it's NOT speaking NEMEA and gpsd is doing the translating.  Kismet
knows, very well, how to talk to gpsd.  That, and combine it with
"roadnav" and away you go.

> Thanks in advance.

	Mike