[ale] Ubuntu for AMD64

danverde danverde at comcast.net
Sun May 6 12:48:08 EDT 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007 11:48:55 am runman wrote:
> Has anyone installed and used/is using the Ubuntu version for AMD64 ??  It
> seems like a little under-developed as compared to Suse for example.  I am
> trying to find a distro that works really well on a dual Opteron computer
> and that will dual boot with Windows 2000.  I have used Suse for this
> several versions ago but am not familiar with OpenSuse.
>
> Thanks for any comments, hints, recollections, etc.

I have been using ubuntu on an Athlon 4000+ in 64 bit mode since Dapper Drake.
There have been ups and downs with it.  I am currently using Feisty Fawn and
it is still working very well.

The biggest problems that I have are related to x86 specific things.  Wine for
example hasn't work very well, I have to use cross over office to get wine
support.  I have not been successful in getting the flash plugin to work in
mozilla, I have to use the flock browser if I want to view a flash enabled
website.  Overall I have been pretty happy with it but there are some
occasionaly gotchas with it.

Dan

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 7
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow
up
bogomips        : 2010.87
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64