[ale] virtualize a FC6 box to a vmware image

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:11:44 EDT 2007

VMware Converter might or might not work for doing a P2V for Linux. It's a
listed caveat that the Linux functionality is in beta.

WMM

On 5/2/07, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> Jerry Yu wrote:
> > I have a FC6 box running wordpress. It became desirable to convert it to
> > a vmware instance.  'vmware converter' and it asked me for domain\user
> > to convert a remote physical server?!   Any vmware (quick) way w/o
> > doing  full backup & restore I usually do?
>
> I don't think the vmware converter supports linux. Take a look at
> http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=82173&tstart=0 .
> They recommend something like
>
> - Enable ssh access in the source system
> - Create a vm for the target system
> - Boot the vm with a linux live-cd (System Rescue CD or RIP are light
> ones)
> - Setup the network in the vm as usual
> - mount the virtual hd destination partition. Eg. mount /dev/hda /mnt/dest
> - rsync -av --numeric-ids --exclude=/dev,/proc,/sys
> root at ip-source:/dev/hd(source-partition)/ /mnt/dest/
> - mkdir /mnt/dest/{dev,proc,sys}
> - adjust the bootloader and fstab of the virtual system to reflect the
> new root
> - umount /mnt/dest
> - reboot vm
>
> -Brian

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2