[ale] posting

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Tue May 1 15:35:15 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 15:14 -0400, cfowler wrote:
> How do you convince and organization that is so tight with security that
> they lock everything down to allow you access to their office from home?

VPN?  40% of IBM works from home, that's ~132,000 people.  Not one bit
of their remote work is un-encrypted.  I often work from Starbucks,
airports, and sometimes at my dad's house or even when on vacation.
I've never run into a secure VPN problem with respectable access point
providers.

IBM saves plenty of money by allowing those who can work remotely to do
so.  Think of the cost savings by not having offices, lights, power,
coffee, etc. for 132,000 folks, and if you want you can work in your
pajamas until noon. :-)   Additionally IBM sponsors local meetings, get
togethers, etc., that help keep people from feeling isolated.  The team
members I work with daily are spread around the globe, we use email,
conf calls, and instant messaging to coordinate development on remote
systems in NYC and Rome, Italy.

-Jim P.