[ale] posting

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue May 1 15:15:01 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 15:05 -0400, Scott Steele wrote:

> I'm still trying to convince my "higher-ups" to allow me to work from
> home. I live in Midtown and muct drive to Alpharetta daily. I have
> VoIP and T-1 so I can do 90% of what needs to be done from the crib.
> Strangely, my company promotes a "green" mentality, ride share, etc.
> All this talk is lying on deaf ears.

You might be able to come at them from a cost-savings (theirs, not
yours) perspective.

I know that when I was working at home vs. in the office, I was able to
be more productive, largely due to being more comfortable, having my
setup, etc.  Of course, it helped that people had to call or IM if they
wanted me.  I can manage IMs far better than I can manage several
simultaneous RL conversations, and the phone?  Only rang when someone
really needed something.  In the office, there was always distractions
(people tapping me on the shoulder to say hey, someone with a radical
idea going what about this, etc.).  Working from home at least for me
was more productive and more relaxing.  I think that the only way you
can beat that is to have a free income without having to work for
it... :-)  But then again, that doesn't really happen.  I can keep
dreaming, though!

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!