[ale] Dell and Linux

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Mar 28 23:40:58 EDT 2007

We use Dell for all our RedHat/Fedora installations.

FC6 even worked on our old Dell PE 6300 after we swapped out the PERC
card because the 2.6 kernel driver didn't support the PERC 2/SC.

However there are some oddities I've seen such as randomly locked files
on one RHEL 3 server when we don't have the problem on another node
exactly like it.

Where Dell falls down on support in my mind is "Support".   They really
don't do well with supporting Linux when you call in.   Often their
suggestions will devolve to something like "boot from a Windows CD and
run it from there".   The ultimate failure in this regard was when they
sent file designed to run in Linux that didn't and they reverted to that
suggestion.   I will say they do seem to at least do a better job of
following up on calls now - I just don't think they're all that up on
Linux as compared to their Windows support.