[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Mar 28 18:34:49 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:45 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:18 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> > Even if it were "designated" that way by the powers that be for your
> > favorite distro you could still control it by putting in whatever you
> > want at the various run levels.  You could everything at run level 2 if
> > you wanted.
>
> runlevel 2 is multiuser+GUI on every default desktop install of Debian,
> Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu.
>
> > People might look at you funny but what the heck
>
> Who looks funny now, rpm based distros?  RPM has always seemed funny to
> me. ;-)
>
> -Jim P.  (let the distro wars begin!)

I'm _really_ not fanning the distro wars embers here but:

It seems odd that there would not be a defined runlever in a Debian
based distro that is networked and multi-user but not X. That is the
most common configuration for a production server.

Ah! I just reread the line where it said "default desktop install". Now
that makes sense on the why of running X by default.

<flame suit on> RedHat and derivatives figured out a long time ago all
they have to do is set the default runlevel to 3 for server and use 5
for desktops. Then they don't have to hack the entire inittab file
</flame suit on>

:)

It seems more complicated to me to have hacked up the runlevels on a
desktop setup so that everything run X.