[ale] How do I get to run level 3?

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:23:58 EDT 2007

Look at /etc/inittab.  It will usually have an entry at the bottom to
start x in whatever run level.  There should be a run level that does
everything besides x.  If not then you can comment out that line then
restart the box or go to 1 and then back to 3 again.

WARNING: fscking up inittab can really ruin your day.

On 3/28/07, Jim <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> Or maybe the question is how come run level 3 brings up X.
>
> I'm running ubuntu 6.10 and trying to install the Nvidia drivers.  It
> says "you are running X and I can't install until stop X" or words to
> that effect, so I ctrl-alt-f1 and telinit 3.  Pretty much nothing
> happens.  X is still running.
>
> So I telinit 1 and get into single user.  Nvidia says "Caution this
> might not work, init 3 or telinit 3" or words to that effect.  OK so I
> do.  Pop! up comes X.
>
> I guess I could killall X but what's the use of run levels if they don't do

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$