[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:25:00 EDT 2007

what if you punch into init 2?

I'm not real familiar with Debian-ish environments... though I had a Kubuntu
install, and in init 3 it was commandline (as was a Ubuntu LTS install)

WMM

On 3/28/07, Jim <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

> Or maybe the question is how come run level 3 brings up X.
>
> I'm running ubuntu 6.10 and trying to install the Nvidia drivers.  It
> says "you are running X and I can't install until stop X" or words to
> that effect, so I ctrl-alt-f1 and telinit 3.  Pretty much nothing
> happens.  X is still running.
>
> So I telinit 1 and get into single user.  Nvidia says "Caution this
> might not work, init 3 or telinit 3" or words to that effect.  OK so I
> do.  Pop! up comes X.
>
> I guess I could killall X but what's the use of run levels if they don't
> work as expected? Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2