[ale] How do I get to run level 3?

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Mar 28 13:19:48 EDT 2007

Or maybe the question is how come run level 3 brings up X.

I'm running ubuntu 6.10 and trying to install the Nvidia drivers.  It
says "you are running X and I can't install until stop X" or words to
that effect, so I ctrl-alt-f1 and telinit 3.  Pretty much nothing
happens.  X is still running.

So I telinit 1 and get into single user.  Nvidia says "Caution this
might not work, init 3 or telinit 3" or words to that effect.  OK so I
do.  Pop! up comes X.

I guess I could killall X but what's the use of run levels if they don't do