[ale] Vista vs Linux

Step random4444 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 20:48:27 EDT 2007

Well, I think they dropped the ball in a bunch of ways.

By the way, though it is true people are also balking at Office 2007
somewhat, I think that group deserves kudos for doing some really excellent
work.  I followed the new user interface pretty closely for Office 2007, and
they really put in a lot of high-quality work developing that interface.
>From what I can tell, the resistance fades out pretty quick once people
realize how much more accessible all their favorite commands are, and they
soon are producing documents of a level they never could have with earlier
versions.

Unfortunately for MS (and fortunately for the computing world IMHO) Vista
doesn't bring nearly the same value with its changes - just changes.  While
I think the file explorer improvements are pretty darn good (I don't know
about the performance) the behavior of the rest of the system reportedly is
terrible.  The pricing, marketing, multiple skus, high performance
requirements, and just about everything else are exactly the opposite of
what Windows needed to do.  Short-term Vista will shore up MS' revenue, but
it might be in exchange for the long-term game.  I think we're going to see
a lot more diversity in OS use soon, particularly a lot of growth for Apple,
but also continued steady growth for lots of Linux variants.  Or maybe I'm
just being optimistic - I certainly don't have a proven track record for
predicting the future.  :P