[ale] Vista vs Linux

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Tue Mar 27 13:48:11 EDT 2007

Dow_Hurst wrote:
> Next would have to be legal codecs, which any of the big distro
> distributors would have to license and pass on the fee to the consumer
> via purchaseable install DVDs.
I've been using the beta of Ubuntu 7.04, and it does the next best
thing. Whenever Totem needs a codec that isn't installed in order to
play a file, it opens gnome-app-install and shows you the available
codecs that can handle the file. If they're patent restricted, it pops
up a window asking if it's legal for you to install them before doing so.

-Brian