[ale] Vista vs Linux

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 27 10:01:58 EDT 2007

Just got my latest issue of Linux Magazine.  There is a nice article outlining the major differences between Vista and current Linux distros.  It shows where Vista is better and where Linux distros are better.  I found it helpful since I've not paid any attention to Vista's feature set.  It does sound like Vista has some pluses over XP but also some major inconveniences.  If you do have to deal with Vista then having the more expensive versions like Home Ultimate or Business level versions seems important.  Even the big guys like corporations and universities will have to have Microsoft issue a license for each instance of Vista installed.  No more corporate or edu install CDs that are prelicensed for ease of use.  I was amazed at how little effort it would take to offer a Linux distro that would equal Vista in every way.  From a user's perspective adding and preconfiguring for ease of use a selection of applications such as what is found on Macs by default, the Ilife stuff, would be the major component.  Next would have to be legal codecs, which any of the big distro distributors would have to license and pass on the fee to the consumer via purchaseable install DVDs.  That would pretty much take care of it.  It was interesting to learn that typical home versions of Vista are not allowed to be run in a virtual machine.
Thanks,
Dow

No sig.