[ale] Changing default font for lp command

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Fri Mar 23 17:42:45 EDT 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I imagine it is printer specific.  I remember once upon a time one had
> to actually by font personality cards for LaserJets.
>
> Google didn't have an answer but one thing did point to ghostscript
> which should have occurred to me.   It does allow you to pipe output to
> printers (they say lpr rather than lp) and have some examples in the man
> page.  That may be a place to research.

I remember those. Goes back to the 3 series The IIIsi in particular had
cartridges, like the old Atari game carts, that plugged into the lower
right corner. State Farm was a heavy user of these guys, but had a
tremendous theft problem. Their offices would get broken into during the
night and all 10 units would be stolen. Then came along their Chief of
Security who came up with the idea of bolting them to the table using a
1" dia bolt. They drilled 2 holes in the bottom of these and secured
them. This was done in 6 of their offices. They couldn't figure out why
they didn't work. I was working for HP Customer Service at the time and
I was the one that visited all of these printers. We used to call these
printers "Drip Pan Logic", because the main logic board was in a
compartment at the bottom that basically looked like a drip pan. Inside
the plastic cover or bottom was a 1/4" metal chassis cover. When they
had drilled the hole, they had done it without removing all of this and
had just laid the printer upside down. Two printers they had drilled
right through the logic board, they rest fried when the metal filings
fell into the power supply. Doing the math that was 60 printers fried at
I think it was about $5K apiece back then. I never saw that Security
Chief after that, I really don't know why?????????? Oh well sorry for
going way off subject.