[ale] FC& Trouble

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Mar 21 09:04:44 EDT 2007

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Igor Kresnik wrote:
>> Greeted
>> Have graphically card radeon 9550. Monitor turns off to me after
>> approximately 15 minutes work in FC. am install driver from ATI web page
>> and is still equal
>> Monitor is LCD Philips 170C
>>
>> regards
>> Igor

> Does this happen while you are working on the system such as editing
> files or graphics, or while system is inactive?
>
> If inactive check your settings for screensaver under preferences
> (assuming you are using gnome).Check for time setting "Regard the
> computer as idle". Adjust slider if you want this to kick in, otherwise
> uncheck option "Activate screensaver when computer is idle". Also I know
> on my LCD there are settings internal on the display itself. Check those
> to see if it has any settings to turn off display after a certain amount
> of time activite.

I would still check the settings for the monitor and for now disable the
screen saver options and the same on the monitor itself if it has the
capability. It could be problems with the graphics card or the monitor
itself. You may want to try the monitor on another PC and see if it
happens there. If not then at least you've ruled out the monitor. If you
can try swapping the graphics card (assuming that the video is not
embedded in the Motherboard). If the problem remains then more than
likely the original card is ok. (depending on the card you use to swap
you may have to change drivers). After ruling out the monitor and card,
it may be the video driver itself try something older or another driver
that is similar as far as chip support. Other than that I'm not sure
what would cause the problem. You can make sure that the card is
securely seated into the MoBo (again assuming that you'r video is a
seperate card), also make sure the video cable is securely connected to
the video connector. Check the AC power cord, I've run into some that
don't plug in all the way (device end modular plug not AC outlet end)
and just tapping it will cause it to disconnect. Maybe someone else on
the list might have some additional ideas on this. I'm not sure what
else could cause this to happen. Is it possible that some piece of
software thinks that there is no activity, even though there is and then
go into screen saver mode? But anyway try disabling the settings first,
I think that this would determine that as well.