[ale] Dual X Screens on Laptop

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Fri Mar 16 22:01:39 EDT 2007

I'm giving a presentation Sunday on "Open Source Tools for Podcast
Management" at the Podcamp Atlanta unconference
(http://www.podcampatlanta.com/). If anyone else from ALE will be there,
please say hi. I stopped by the site today to determine the a/v
situation and found an InFocus LP530-A projector. I tried the following
xorg.conf configuration to make it work in Ubuntu 6.10 on a Powerbook.
What I expected with this configuration was to get two independent
screens; I was then going to try merging them with Xinerama. If I
comment the "Dual Layout", uncomment the "Single Layout", and then start
X my laptop display is fine. However, when I started X (using startx
from single user mode or restarting gdm at runlevel 5) using the
settings below, my laptop's display went blank, and I couldn't switch to
any virtual consoles. Nothing appeared on the projector either, but it
did say that it was receiving a 1024x768 at 85 signal. There wasn't another
computer around for me to try ssh from, so I did a hard shutdown. I
didn't start X on the next boot before grabbing its log (which is
attached to this email), but the log mentions "Single Layout" which
makes me think that something failed so badly that X didn't get to log
anything.

Any thoughts on settings I need to change or other things I might be
doing wrong?

-Brian

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)

Section "Files"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
   # path to defoma fonts
   FontPath    "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load    "i2c"
   Load    "bitmap"
   Load    "ddc"
   Load    "dri"
   Load    "extmod"
   Load    "freetype"
   Load    "glx"
   Load    "int10"
   Load    "type1"
   Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
   Driver        "kbd"
   Option        "CoreKeyboard"
   Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
   Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
   Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
   Option        "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
   Driver        "mouse"
   Option        "CorePointer"
   Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
   Option        "Protocol"        "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option        "ZAxisMapping"        "4 5"
   Option        "Emulate3Buttons"    "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
   Driver        "synaptics"
   Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
   Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
   Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"
   Option        "HorizScrollDelta"    "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier    "Internal Device"
   Driver        "ati"
   BusID        "PCI:0:16:0"
   Option        "UseFBDev"        "true"
   Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier    "External Device"
   Driver        "ati"
   BusID        "PCI:0:16:0"
   Option        "UseFBDev"        "false"
   Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier    "Internal Monitor"
   Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier    "External Monitor"
   Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier    "Internal Screen"
   Device        "Internal Device"
   Monitor        "Internal Monitor"
   DefaultDepth    24
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth        16
       Modes        "1024x768"
       #Modes        "1280x854"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth        24
       Modes        "1024x768"
       #Modes        "1280x854"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier    "External Screen"
   Device        "External Device"
   Monitor        "External Monitor"
   DefaultDepth    24
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth        16
       Modes        "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth        24
       Modes        "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier    "Dual Layout"
   Screen 0    "Internal Screen" 0 0
   Screen    1    "External Screen" RightOf "Internal Screen"
   InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
   InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
   InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
#    Option          "Xinerama"
EndSection

#Section "ServerLayout"
#    Identifier    "Single Layout"
#    Screen 0    "Internal Screen" 0 0
#    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
#    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
#    InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
#EndSection

Section "DRI"
   Mode    0666
EndSection