[ale] imap server

Benjamin Wald ben at bwald.com
Fri Mar 16 02:29:06 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I have a question that I'd like some advice on.

I am interested in setting up my own imap server to host all of my
email.  The basic idea is this:  I have recently become more interested
in sending only PGP signed emails and using encryption where possible.
The problem is I have all my mail forwarding to gmail, so I can check
all my accounts in one place.  To send a signed or encrypted reply to an
already existing email I need to download the email to a client computer
to respond to it.  Since I often use several computers and OSes for
regular email reading its a crap shoot which computer a specific email
resides on.  So to send a signed/encrypted reply I would need to find
the computer and/or OS with the proper email and reply to it from there.

My plan to fix this is to set up a server which downloads all the mail
from gmail.  (or I could set up my other email addresses to directly
forward to this server, I don't know what would be easier.)  This server
would then serve the mail via imap so I could use various programs on
different computers and access the same mail to send replies and such.

I've already received suggestions to use fetchmail and/or courier mail
server but I don't know anything about these programs and I'd like some
help setting this all up.

----
Ben Wald

:wq