[ale] RHEL 5 is out

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Thu Mar 15 17:18:57 EDT 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 16:54 -0400, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
>
>> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> I just don't get the bias about Redhat. I have used them for years and
>> even before the v. 5. Yes, I was annoyed about the desktop EL thing
>> after v.9, but what did you expect. Redhat does more for the "Linux "
>> community than most will ever do is their lifetime. Respect that at
>> least.
>>

> Agreed.  I just won't use them personally because I had previously paid
> them cash out of my pocket and they changed the licensing model and
> asked me to pay more (significantly more, ES * 3) and when I didn't they
> wouldn't refund the recently re-newed RH7.3 maintenance I had just paid.
> So,

Ouch! I do remember some issues like that and it sure would sour my
opinion. This type of customer treatment will definitely not help.

>> Thank goodness they are here and I hope they stay for a long time.
>>

> Yes. I just don't want their mgmt/marketing to screw next year's
> enterprise customers like they screwed me years ago.  Doing that would
> hurt them and Linux in general.
>
> -Jim P.
>
> _

My post was mostly in reply to all the negative slashdotters  as they
digested the news that RHEL5 is released. A large percentage of comments
seemed unjustifiably negative, buy you actually have a legitimate reason
why you are not interested in the product or company.  Oddly, you are
exactly the type of customer they need, a customer with conviction.

rcr