[ale] Networking implementation question

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 14:45:09 EDT 2007

On 3/11/07, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> One thing I would do is segment all the kid systems away from your
> normal network.  Use a Linksys wireless router with a static IP address
> on your network.  Then run squid on a computer and make sure that no
> machine on that segment can bypass squid.  Simply deny access to the
> Internet from the Linksys's WLAN address.
>
> On Squid block EVERYTHING and create a policy in your household where
> they need to request access to a site to be placed in the squid list.
> This will block many legit things like ads, images, etc but it is easier
> to block everything than to try and figure out what is good and what is
> bad.  If they are doing homework and need access to a site simply add it
> to the list.

That's basically the plan.  There are a few of the friends whose
network access at home is unregulated, and some of the sites are
either questionable outright, or take ads from highly questionable
sites.

> Make sure your machine which has full access to the net is "off limits".

Check.

> as your child gets older you will need to employ more techniques to keep
> them from trying to get around your safeguards.  Maybe not allow DHCP on
> your network and then only allow certain MAC addresses through the
> firewall.  If you have a son he will get creative as his hormones start
> flowing and try to find any avenue out that he can.  Think of this as a
> great exercise for you and his determination will be a great learning
> experience for him :)

DHCP is right out - I only have 6 computers, and even a old fogey like
me can keep 6 IPs
for them straight, and the router + bridges only add in 4 more IPs

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps