[ale] botched install of Virtual Box

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 9 19:35:14 EST 2007

I keep trying to install Virtual Box on my Kubuntu setup with a custom kernel.
It gets through the step where it builds the vboxdrv. But I get an error from
dmesg:

vboxdrv: Trying to deactivate NMI watchdog permanently...
vboxdrv: NMI watchdog either active or at least initialized. Please disable
the NMI
vboxdrv: watchdog by specifying 'nmi_watchdog=0' at kernel command line.

I googled and found some really interesting discussions about NMI watchdog on
the kernel mailing list (Linus is against it). But I didn't find anything
that would tell me what to do about it here. Any ideas?