[ale] VPN question

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:59:50 EST 2007

it doesn't sounds like a real VPN. Some vendors claim & sell SSL-based VPN,
while it is more or less a fancy HTTPS with a limit set of redirection. A
true SSL VPN is something like openVPN <http://www.openvpn.org>.
As Charlie Hosner wrote in his white paper on OpenVPN in 2004, "Many of the
products that claim to be SSL VPNs are actually just SSL gateways operating
under the guise of a true VPN. Many of these products open the unsuspecting
user to serious security issues. OpenVPN is the first real SSL VPN to
provide the same function and security as its IPSec predecessors".