[ale] ..... Performance with ATI board with Ubuntu

Jeff Tillotson ale at jeffx.com
Tue Mar 6 15:52:13 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 14:26 -0500, aaron wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 March 2007 13:47, Jeff Tillotson wrote:
> > I made a commitment to myself last weekend to use only open source
> > software at home.  So I handed off the iBook
>
> Good choice on Open Source, laptop and distro, but as much as I love
> Linux and OSS I would be hard pressed to give up a Mac OSeX machine;
> THAT's true dedication!

To be honest, as much as I loved OS-X, I don't miss it much.  I do miss
the laptop itself a little bit.  The T42 is nice but that iBook was a
really nice piece of hardware.

> > However, fgl_glxgears only shows around a 430 fps rate.  I was expecting
> > to see a lot better rate than that.  So is there any known issues with
> > the performance with this card under Ubuntu?  Has anyone had this
> > problem before?
>
> 430 fps?? Unless this is a typo or you are being facetious I don't understand
> your concern.

Um.  Duh.  I had to laugh a little when I read your paragraph.  The 3d
stuff is having problems with this laptop....everything drags.  As I was
googling to find a solution I read that you should see numbers in the
1000s!  So I took that to be my problem.  I was only seeing numbers in
the 400 range.  That _MUST_ have been the problem.  Never mind I was
reading the wrong numbers.

I am still having some issues with beryl but it probably doesn't have
anything to do with the card performance.

> > Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased with how this system runs.
>
> ;-)
>    Which explains the "_Lousy_ Performance" part of the original subject line
> completely...
> ;-)

Okay lousy might have been a harsh word to use.  I am not totally
pleased with beryl not working but everything else has been great.

Jeff