[ale] kernel config

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Sat Mar 3 22:57:59 EST 2007

well, I read most of the linux kernel in a nutshell. I downloaded the new
kernel, did some configuring... did the make... put it inthe /boot, and I
wasn't going to play with it til my next reboot. Well my system froze
tonight, so I decided to try to boot it. I got to the init 5, and ... no
xwindows. Thought to myself it might be the NVIDIA driver, so I did the
NVIDIA...run thingy, ran sax2 to config it, and. nada. pound prompt, no
xwidnows. I figured I'd work on it tomorrow, so I rebooted into my know good,
safe 10.2 kernel. NO XWIDNOWS, init 5 and a pound prompt. Here I am getting
ready to go on a trip tomorrow, and CRASH!!!!
well, I fooled around with the install CD trying a repair, nada, same thing.
Finally I tried just a startx, and I got a few errors about no XGL module in
xorg.  Pounded out that line, ran init 5 again and VOILA ! xwindows!
remind me to BACK UP my system next time, before I try something like that!!!
I didn't think adding a new kernel source was supposed to screw with your
existing install, but obviously, since I had beryl, and compiz, and an NVIDIA
card, it is easy to screw things up.
lesson learned. At least I learned something about kernel installation today!
and backups.. ya never have a fresh enough backup...
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800