[ale] Foolish Distro ID Question

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 09:25:15 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 08:01 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Friday 02 March 2007 10:58:11 pm Brian Pitts wrote:
> > > <http://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/i386/HEAD/>
> > > I'd love to learn more about doing kernel makes & installs,
> >
> > Sounds like Linux Kernel in a Nutshell (http://www.kroah.com/lkn/) is
> > for you. Published by O'Reilly, but also available for download under a
> > Creative Commons license.
>
> reading on into chapter 3... I guess the question becomes do I use the SUSE
> kotd or go right to kernel.org?
> If you build your own kernel, does it now become a vanilla distro?
> does this mess up doing YaST updates?

Building your own kernel won't be detrimental to your system (unless you
forget drivers... :-)).  Just read your distribution's procedures for
creating a package for the kernel.  The reason?  So that you don't have
a problem with SuSE walking over files that its package manager doesn't
know exist.  If you don't create a package for the kernel, you won't
harm anything, but there is the possibility that you'll need to
reinstall the kernel if your system overwrites it (because it doesn't
know about it).

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!