[ale] WAS-Re: Comcast problems?now DNS

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:20:22 EST 2007

On 3/2/07, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:35 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > Try using these DNS servers instead of your own (much easier).
> >
> >         4.2.2.1
> >         4.2.2.2
> >         4.2.2.3
> >         4.2.2.4
>
> But isn't the point of a caching name server to limit DNS requests over
> your Internet connection making things much faster.  If the name server
> does not have a named cached it will request the name and cache it.
> Each request from you will come from the cache and not 4.2.2.1 above.
>
> In a way that is both good for you and good for those servers you just
> listed.

I agree.  If you want the best of both worlds you could add the above
as forwarders.

ie. The caching name server will first look in its own cache.  If not
there it will ask one of the forwarders instead instead of going
directly to the office source for that domain.  It is really easy to
add forwarders with SUSE via yast.  I don't know about other distros.

As to maintenance, zone files etc. can be difficult to maintain, but a
caching only server has never given me any issues at all.  Simply set
it up and forget it.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer