[ale] GPL3

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 30 15:25:56 EDT 2007

In case people missed it, the GPL3 is officially released. GNU
foundation updated the gnu tar utility to be GPL3 as well.

Slashdot has a link to a talk by Eben Moglen
http://www.archive.org/details/EbenMoglenLectureEdinburghJune2007text

I am about 1/3 through it and something caught my eye. In the process of
getting GPL3 ready, many, many people had input. Many IT companies and
IT users participated in the process that led to GPL3.  All of that is
good.

It was the brief line "- in the end, we got agreement. We got
consensus." that struck me as an outstanding accomplishment. To obtain
CONSENSUS is such a clear statement of power behind the idea, it sent
chills up my spine.

I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone to participates
on this mailing list. I would like to thank everyone who participates in
the creation and support of software that is licensed under the GPL2. I
would like to encourage everyone who writes software to look deeply at
the GPL3 and give serious thought to making that the de facto software
license standard for the next release.

As a society, we are standing at the edge of precipice. I feel very
strongly that it is only though freedoms put in writing and defended at
all costs that we will have the opportunity to spread wings and soar
instead of plummet to a finality. I do not refer to the United States of
America as the embodiment of this society. But instead I refer to all of
humanity. It is only through the freedoms established in 1776 did this
nation progress to it's current global apex. It will only be through the
conceptual process of understanding something as important as the
intellectual freedoms as defined by the principles in the GPL3 that this
global society can take the next step and truly become magnificent.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>