[ale] Directories swapping contents!?!?!?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Jun 27 00:16:13 EDT 2007

I've just seen highly weird behavior on my file server.

I have a RAID 1 set across two 160Gb drives, and it has two directories
that are shared out individually via Samba.  The RAID device, /dev/md0,
is formatted ext3.

Quite inexplicably, the contents of the two directories have swapped
places.  Machines connecting to the server see the switch, and if I
shell into the server itself and look at the two directories, that's
exactly what has happened.  /proc/mdstat looks normal, nothing shows up
in dmesg or /var/log/everything/current.

Apparently there has been some sort of filesystem corruption, but the
result is awfully specific, and apparently the kernel modules involved
don't think there is anything wrong.

WTF?