[ale] OT: License restrictions (reasons why?)

Brian nym.bnm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 14:04:11 EDT 2007

> Most of the above makes sense to me... however the part about "operation
> or maintenance of any nuclear facility" has always made me wonder why.
> I do realize the dangers of nuclear power plants and their dependence on
> systems that operate and manage them.   What I don't understand is why
> Sun doesn't restrict Java use from everything else that could have
> near-catastrophic incidents.  Things like trains carrying nuclear bombs,
> FAA traffic control, mass-produced heart monitors, etc.  Also, why even
> put "nuclear facility" in there when those facilities most certainly
> have used MS Windows somewhere in their design, construction, operation
> or maintenance.

I'll bite.

Real-time or near real-time operation.  Nuke facilities need that, and
Java has never been good at it, historically.  In addition, I believe
if you look at the Windows EULA, you will find similar terms,
particularly for Air Traffic Control systems.

Probably some brainiac tried these things and they didn't work so
well.  In effect, these are idiot labels.

bnm