[ale] BellSouth/ATT DSL

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Mon Jun 25 00:13:10 EDT 2007

	Well if the little Westell box you're talking about happens to be like
the Model C90-6100 I have on my BS/ATT DSL line then it works best if
you have the lastest firmware and through it into bridged ethernet mode
and then use something something else as your firewall/router/gateway. I
found letting it handle the PPPoE connection was flaky at best. In fact
to flash the latest firmware upgrade I had to reset it back to defaults
and then had to call tech support as it was unable to reconnect on it's
own.

	Myself I have a Linksys WRTSL54GS running OpenWRT connected between my
Westell and the LAN. I've been running with this setup for the past year
and I've only had a connection problem less than a handful of times.

	Even running in bridged mode the Westell will provide DHCP assigned
addresses from 192.168.1/24 to whatever device is plugged into the
ethernet port of it. You then just simply need to have a PPPoE device to
establish the internet link. When I've semi-bricked the firmware
upgrades on the Linksys I've been able to simply use the pppoe package
in Debian to establish the link to my desktop or laptop to get online
and look up support docs.

	I'm actually planning to try and move back to my Sangoma S518 ADSL PCI
card through my Debian firewall after my move and I set my rack back up.
I used it before back in California with SBC/ATT and as much as their
tech support said it was "unsupported" it actually performed better than
any of the DSL modems/routers I've seen ISPs offering.

	Regards,
	Jeremy