[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek movingto/near Atlanta?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Jun 11 13:06:56 EDT 2007

Meg wrote:

> As far as traffic is concerned, my husband was commuting 30 miles from
> in the city to Alpharetta for 2 years.  It took him, at off peak
> times, from an hour to 2 hours.

Really? *Off* peak?

Admittedly, it's been 7 years since I lived near Atlanta, but I
was commuting from LaGrange (*way* south) to Norcross, 90 miles
one-way, in about 1:15.  Not during rush, obviously.  And I didn't
go near 285 unless there was a known blockage on 85; the straight
shot through downtown was a lot faster than the perimeter. I suspect
that would be true during rush as well; both 285 and the 75/85
connector will be nearly motionless, but the connector's a lot
shorter.

Amazingly, I never got a speeding ticket, making that drive
2-3 times weekly for 4 years :-)

>  The traffic sucks!  Whatever you do,
> avoid 285, for your commuting route.  We decided to move near the job
> and he biked to work etc...  It was huge as far as quality of life was
> concerned..he got back 4 hours a day.   Also, with rising gas prices
> and insurance rates, we saved a decent chunk every month.

I think the key is, Just Say No to rush hour.  I worked 10AM to
7PM on the days when I absolutely had to go into the office. I
also worked from home 2 days most weeks.

And BTW, I had various liberal/atheist stickers all over my
truck, and no one ever bothered me about it.

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens