[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek moving to/near Atlanta?

Brian Schenken brian.schenken at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 11:08:15 EDT 2007

Thanks for the responses folks!

James K re: the folks who drive worse in bad weather, we saw the same
thing when we lived in Reno.  Once, some jackass was so annoyed that
we (a small family in a 2wd) we going slow that he flew past us at
insane speed (during a blizzard no less)!  We caught up to him a
moment later - found his taillights sticking out of a bank of snow.  I
also remember in the city itself, everyone (myself included) having
2mph accidents on some black ice like a bunch of lemmings.  Must..
go... to ... work...

Jim P: thanks for the handy links!

James: that movie was freaking hilarious.  I think I remember seeing
it once before, maybe on digg.  I don't imagine it had any effect on
the posted speed limit though...

We live in Tracy now, about a 2 hour commute to my old work.  (Yup,
four hours a day) There's a two lane highway into Tracy and it's
always packed - mostly because folks can't PICK A LANE.  They jump
back and forth and the folks behind them have to slow down, rinse and
repeat.  Maybe they should just make the freeways one big lane.

Joe: My work is in north Atlanta.  Google maps is telling me I'd have
about a 28 min commute from Duluth, but of course it doesn't ask what
time of day....

Jeremy: We've been using Comcast here, but <boggle>they don't support
relocating business class connections with static IP's</boggle>.  So,
if we had a standard connection we could just pick up where we left
off, but because we spend three times the normal amount for a bit more
bandwidth and a few static IP's (which I would have thought would have
made us particularly valuable suckers) we are forced to shop around
when we get to town.  Of course broadband is life to us, more
important than clean drinking water.

Paul: Awesome link, and it works with Mplayer - woot!  Thanks!  Sounds
like I shouldn't have passed up an opportunity to take some UPS's from
my old job.  Ah well...

I've been to the south, my wife hasn't yet.  It's going to be quite a
culture shock.  On my last trip some ladies lit up inside a restaurant
and it was bizarre to me!  Smoking... indoors... AND ... near.....
food?  While people are trying to ... taste?  To me it's like having
someone take a poop in the booth next to you.  Might as well pay the
bill and go buy some drive though that you can eat without marinating
it in someone else's stink.  But of course everyone's still used to it
in the south.

We're Atheists too, which I understand is even_worse_than_gay down
there.  Might be time to peel off the Darwin fish if we wan't to keep
from having our windows smashed...  I can live with treating my ideals
like a terrible secret, but I don't think I'll be buying a gun...  I
qualified with my m16 in the Army and  haven't any reason to pick up a
gun since.  Plus with kids around...  I prefer the mouse.

Thanks all, enjoy what's left of Sunday!
Brian