[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek movingto/near Atlanta?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sun Jun 10 11:01:55 EDT 2007

You need to understand that "North" metro is actually 3 different areas.
You have Alpharetta and north of there for most of what is up the GA 400
corridor.  You have NorthEast going up I-85/I-985 and NorthWest going up
I75/I-575.  Some folks working up 400 live NorthEast but I recall
spending about 5 hours just trying to go east a few miles once to get
over to I-85 from GA 400.

If your main consideration is traffic you definitely want to live close
to where you will travel most often.   For schools you'll have to take
the advice of others.

The traffic here IS as bad as people say.  I've driven all around the
country and haven't found many places that are worse.  I recall several
years ago riding in a cab in NYC and wondering how people could tolerate
that traffic and years later realizing Atlanta had gotten just as bad if
not worse.  (Funny aside - Driving through NYC last year on my way to
Maine the New Yorkers mistakenly thought they could outdrive someone
with Georgia tags but I proved them wrong.)

One thing I will say for Atlanta is that is mainly bad at rush hour
whereas some places (e.g. the road from San Jose to San Francisco) was
still heavy with traffic at 9 PM  when I last visited there.