[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek moving to/near Atlanta?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 9 22:57:57 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 19:26 -0700, Brian Schenken wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Moving my family from California to somewhere near north Atlanta
> (where my new job is)...  We've never been to Atlanta - we are
> shipping our stuff (in a pod) and starting the drive on Monday - Woot!
>
> I'm wondering if you locals might recommend areas that a geeky family
> should (or shouldn't) consider settling down in.  Proximity to a Fry's
> is a consideration - so Duluth sounds kewl.  My wife and I are gamers
> (kids aren't old enough yet), so an area with an active LAN community
> would be awesome....  Of course good schools and activities for the
> kids are important.

Hmm. Good schools _and_ Georgia are nearly an oxymoron. NE Atlanta is
being bulldozed (trees anyway) and replaced with expensive but poorly
built houses as fast as they can get the permit rubber stamped. Too bad
the school systems don't have a clue about the building rate. Currently
if I drive up I-85 north and go past the Frys exit, I can see commercial
development that has never been leased next door to another swatch of
bare dirt getting converted as well.

> I keep hearing about Atlanta traffic - is it really that bad?

Yes. Rush hour(s) is(are) 6am-9am and again 3pm-7pm. The interstate
roads are horrid (think parking lots with circling cars at the only mall
known to still have THE TOY of the year on December 23). The best part
of driving in Atlanta is when you realize that common sense is water
soluble. When it starts to rain the yahoo's drive even faster (I guess
to get home quicker?). It's realy funny when we do get some snow/ice. Up
and down the interstate will be littered with 4-wheel drive pickups as
the rednecks try to still do 60+ on ice "'cause they got 'em a 4 wheel
an' it'n go anywhare".

But the climate is nice (air conditioning required now) and for the most
part, the people are nice too. People will look at you on the street and
smile.