[ale] Good bang-for-buck mobo/cpu?

Joe Bayes jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com
Wed Jun 6 04:24:37 EDT 2007

Brian Pitts typeth:

>well but cheap would be Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2
>3600+ processor, and a 1GB stick of any brand of DDR2-667 memory. This
>should cost < $200.

I just went ahead and followed your suggestion. Installation was a
breeze, compared to the time and effort I spent on an ECS POS a couple
weeks ago.

And my system is FAST. :)

Caveat: The mobo manual claims that 16-chip RAM is not supported. But
I got a ($30) 16-chip stick of ram, and it seems to be working just
fine.

Cost was closer to $300 than $200: the mobo was $100, and a 4600+ was
the cheapest x2 processor they had.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Joe
Joe Bayes -- jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com