[ale] OT: how to tell off the Geek Squad

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 02:04:59 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 21:45 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> There is also this video about computer repair ripoffs
> http://www.fugly.com/videos/8112/computer-repair-fraud.html

Wow.  Just plain wow.

I very nearly do not believe this newscast.  The idea that people do
this is absolutely appalling to me.  Seriously, a lose IDE cable?
That's a freebie unless you traveled to be on-site to fix it... then
perhaps it is a one-hour minimum charge.  I'm not even sure that I would
charge that much; probably just enough to cover my gas, and even then I
would probably spend ten minutes to show them the connections in the
computer so that they could see how to troubleshoot similar problems the
next time.  Of course, many users would probably decline that, saying
that they would feel uncomfortable working on such things, and that is
understandable.

But the sheer ignorance of some of these so-called technicians amazes
me.  And supposedly they're certified, too.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support Freedom of Speech---Do not use TypePad, Movable Type,
LiveJournal, Vox, or TypeKey.