[ale] [OT] External USB drives

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:44:39 EDT 2007

On 6/2/07, Tom Freeman <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:
> On 06/02/2007 06:18:43 PM, JK wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been thinking about getting a (or maybe a coupla)
> > big
> > USB extrnal HDs for archival purposes.  Amazon has a
> > 500GB MyBook for $129 right now, and I think two of those
> > would probably hold my net information output for the
> > rest of my life.  Any opinions or alternative
> > recommendations?
> >
> > Needless to say, I'd like whatever I buy to work with
> > Linux.
> >

> I cann't speak directly to the MyBook, but the six or so
> external hard disks with USB and/or firewire have all
> worked just fine for me with Linux. YMMV of course.

The MyBook from WD comes in at least 2 flavors.

The USB/firewire one is not a problem from my experience (mostly
windows, but I've used numerous of them at different times.)

The ethernet only one is more problematic.  I would not recommend it
in general.  It has built in backup software that it starts installing
as soon as you get the network aspect working.  Also, I think it only
talks SMB (ie. Samba Server included on box?).  And it has a
complicated set of user creation and other security settings.

Regardless, the ethernet version is way overly complicated for what I
use an external box for.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer