[ale] ext3 formatted USB disks

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Jun 3 16:26:38 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 17:24 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>      Hmm... I use a USB drive for my GPG and SSH keys on a daily
> basis...
> It's an ext3 partition but it's encrypted using LUKS. I just let udev
> handle the auto-mounting on my systems. I run Debian myself but the
> drive has never had any problems working on Fedora systems either so
> long as all the appropriate pre-reqs are met. In fact using my GNOME
> desktop it detects the LUKS encrypted partition and prompts me for the
> passphrase to unlock it then detects the ext3 partition underneath it
> and mounts it as /media/usbdisk.

Now I'm interested.

I'm playing with a USB disk

I've followed these instructions

http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=EncryptedVarWithUSBKey

Here is output:

WARNING!
========
This will overwrite data on /dev/sda1 irrevocably.

Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): YES
Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping.
Check kernel for support for the aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 cipher spec and
verify that /dev/sda1 contains at least 133 sectors.
Failed to write to key storage.
Command failed.

I get this in dmesg:

device-mapper: table: 253:0: crypt: Device lookup failed
device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
device-mapper: ioctl: device doesn't appear to be in the dev hash table.