[ale] ext3 formatted USB disks

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Jun 2 11:55:49 EDT 2007

I'm in the process of upgrading the hdd in my laptop so I bought
one of those 2.5" enclosures at Frys.  I partition the drive as linux
and formatted as ext3.

Normally when I plug in a USB stick that is fat formatted it is mounted
automatically in /media/usbdisk.  I have full rights to that fs.  When
the Linux one is plugged in it is mounted as /dev/sda1 and I need to be
root to write anything in there.  I guess that is being limited by the
FS on the disk?

/dev/sda1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

For a usb fat stick I normally see uid=500.