[ale] Suse vs. Ubuntu. Is is worth the time to switch to ubuntu?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Jul 31 11:33:58 EDT 2007

If you're looking for commercial support like Suse has you might want to
consider RedHat rather than Ubuntu.

In any case you'd probably want to do a fresh install even if there were
an "upgrade path" which I doubt.   My experience is that no matter how
well planned out an OS "upgrade" (other than minor revision levels)
there will always be things missed AND you'll end up with garbage from
the earlier OS that you're never quite sure its safe to remove.

I'd probably not do a mass upgrade for the sake of moving though.   If I
had a desire to move on to later kernel versions I'd switch OSes at that
point.  There will be a little bit of a learning curve as regards
package management since Suse does it differently than Ubuntu or Redhat
and those 2 do it differently than each other.    Many folks will tell
you apt and related tools for Ubuntu (Debian based) is superior to
Redhat's package management but I for one prefer rpm/yum over the apt
tools.   Starting with RHEL5 yum is used rather than up2date and it was
used for Fedora/CentOS which are free RedHat variants you can use if you
don't need commercial support.