[ale] Using OS X as a thin client

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 14:14:26 EDT 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 12:55 PM, John Wells wrote:

>> Processor, ram, disk space?
>
> 1.2 Ghz Processor, 512 MB ram, 80 GB harddrive

Wow.  I'm surprised OSX runs at all.  For a home system like an eMac,
I'd say 1G is minimum to run OSX snappily.  Filling out all available
ram is preferred.

>> Trying to run significant applications on shoestring specs?
>
> Nope, unless you consider iPhoto significant. And, btw, F-Spot and
> Digikam blow it away so far on the same hardware under Ubuntu.

In older OSXes, the core graphics wasn't as good as it is post-10.4,
so you've heard correctly.  iPhoto took a serious performance hit in
one of the last iterations because it was preparing for core graphics
+ core animation, and included a lot of code for the app to wade
through it shouldn't have.  As stuff got moved around on their
release dates, some people wound up in a performance

>> So let me get this straight...
>
> Yes, IMO. The hardware *in the eMac* is cheap and just CRAP. No
> offense to you...that's why we're allowed to have opinions. And
> coin? Well, for the $1300 I dropped on this machine, I could've
> built my own powerhouse or bought one very easily. Overpriced crap.
>
> Course, I haven't had my coffee today, so forgive the lack of kind
> and gentle.

Hey...  I'm a sysadmin.  I see your unkind and ungentle and raise you
a devious and unforgiving.  :D

>> I do it all on my laptop, and it's the first platform I've ever been
>> able to do this with as a professional Sysadmin.
>
> I've been doing Linux on a laptop for years now at both home and
> work, and I do it all *except* the music stuff. Perhaps this is
> where OS X has the advantage, although I'd be surprised given a lot
> of the Linux music apps I've seen recently.

Still not even close to the pro audio stuff.  Good ideas, though.

> Ok...can't argue with you there.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.  Both camps hate Windows equally,
I think.  :D

> Call Apple..and...oh, wait, I didn't buy the three year support.
> Even though the eMac is still very new, Apple won't talk to me. I
> have to go the their authorized support center (a la CompUSA) to
> get support.

There are a few non-negotiables in the Apple world.

I   ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy applecare.
II  ALWAYS Max out your Ram
III ALWAYS use an authorized local service center (not a big-box store)

I use Onyx for all my Apple work.  I wager that you'd have brought
that in to Frank and he'd have heard it and said "that ain't right"
and figured out a way to get that covered (drum roll) under your
applecare agreement.

> Package up eMac...go to CompUSA...get there, and they run their
> diagnostic CD on the machine. Guess what? Diagnostic CD says
> everything is perfect. "What about that loud, ear piercing whine
> we're hearing currently?" says me? "Sorry sir, Apple will not
> accept repairs if the diagnostic cd passes...no questions asked. We
> can do nothing to help you. You should have bought the Complete
> Care plan, so that you could call them" says the tech.

Like I said, CompUSA were/are a bunch of idiots for the most part.
The genius bar is a little better, but not by much.  Onyx has been
doing Apple repair since the 90's and has seen just about
everything.  They're authorized to service your Applecare too.  They
do other platforms as well, I think.  good people, nice guys.

> A week later...while waiting for my plan documentation, whine goes
> away. Begin to suspect sinister Apple support revenue plot.

Now this is funny.  Sorry, it just is.

>> It seems to work for you on Linux, eh?
>
> Except flash on PPC and the broadcom driver, then yes...so far
> everything has just worked.

I got the Broadcom wireless to work under a couple of things on my
old HP laptop.  I forget the project names now...  It's out there,
though.

good conversation.

--j