[ale] [ot] Thunderbird and certs

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Jul 30 11:24:16 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I use an SMTP server whose IP address is mapped to my
domain name, but whose certificate is associated with
my hosting provider's domain name.  It works fine,
except that:

(1) TBird asks "OMG the cert doesn't match the domain!
Do you really wanna send?" every freakin' time I send
email, which is kind of annoying; except that

(2) For a few days it stopped doing that -- but when
I restarted the machine (it's an XP box) the "cert
doesn't match" prompts came back. I have no idea what
(if anything) I did to make it stop.  I've trolled
the preferences tree, but found nothing relevant-looking.
Not even "Privacy & Security->Certificates" seems to
have a "just trust the bloody thing" control.

Does anyone know how to tell TBird, "please just
always accept this cert"?

Thanks,

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens