[ale] using a Bluetooth dongle

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Jul 28 14:09:25 EDT 2007

On 07/27/2007 07:56:26 PM, Jim Philips wrote:
> I bought a cheap Bluetoot dongle at Fry's a couple of weks
> ago. So far, I
> have a hard time figuring out what you can do with it. I
> get a netofication
> in both Gnome and KDE when the dongle is plugged in to the
> USB drive. But
> other than that, I have no idea how to access it or do
> anything with it.
> Does anybody have eny experience here? The device is
> recognized by the
> kernel:
>
> rebus at rebus:~$ /usr/sbin/lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1131:1001 Integrated System
> Solution Corp. KY-BT100
> Bluetooth Adapter
>
> But beyond that, I see no way to do *anything* with it.
> Google searches
> weren't a lot of help. I'm running Kubuntu 7.04 with the
> 2.6.20 kernel.

I'm sort of in the same boat wrt bluetooth. I can get the
USB dongle recognized, but I'm not sure what the heck to do
with it! Of course, it helps that the only bluetooth device
I own (other than the dongle) is a Nokia 770, so I'm
fighting two unknowns at the same time.

I rather came to the opinion that the purpose of bluetooth
was to expose stuff to joe random cracker, which doesn't
seem too useful to me.