[ale] CIFS <-> NFS bridge?

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Wed Jul 25 13:27:00 EDT 2007

A long time ago, (25.07.07), in a galaxy far, far away, Ned Williams wrote:

:=NFS v1/2 are not very complicated protocols, I am still curios why the nfs
:=client hangs up when he tries to viiew the data on the mounted SMB share I

This is apparently a feature, not a bug.  The rpc.nfsd is written with this
restriction in place specifically, though looking at the spec I don't see
anything that dicatates that behavior.  There have been versions where
re-exportation was an option, but it does not look like it is an option for
current versions, sadly for me.

:=might be interested to see what is written to syslog during this time or
:=perhaps an strace output of nfsd while the client is trying to access..If
:=its a timeout issue then the fix is to simply increase the timeout values of
:=either the nfsd/nfsclient. Also I might be curious to see what exports ran
:=from a remote system against the NFS server reports, do the shares show up
:=each time or intermittently.

I have no issues getting to any other exported files or file systems.  Only
when I attempt to access the re-exported file system (even if it's a
sub-directory of an exported file system and I can access other files in
that exported file system).

--
Dylan Northrup - docx at io.com - http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's