[ale] ntp for debian workstation

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 17 12:26:31 EDT 2007

I'm a bit confused as to which package to install on a debian workstation,
ntp, ntp-simple, or ntp-server. I've googled for howtos but so many of them
are out of date. Others give contradictory info. I think all I have to do is
install ntp-simple.  Even though ntp nneds to run a daemon, that is not the
same as ntp-server, right? ntp-server is for machines that tell other
machines what time it is, right?

I've configured my dhcp server to tell clients the IP address of my ntp
servers.  So I think all I've got to do on each workstation I set up is
'apt-get install ntp-simple'.

--
John Heim
If you are blind and you use linux, please subscribe to
blinux-list at redhat.com